Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Reflection on Paraphrase Practice

In history class, we learned different methods of paraphrasing and quoting others. I discovered that instead of paraphrasing, I tend to write something different than the original source and only slightly touch on the original subject. This means that I need to focus on really understanding what idea the original source is exploring and write the idea in a way that is easier to understand.

I also discovered several ways to quote a source. I learned that I don't always have to write out the entire quotation. Rather, I can use an ellipses to skip the unneeded information in the original quote, use brackets to further explain something vague within a quote, or even break up the quote into different pieces and incorporate the fragments into my own idea.


This is what I learned today:
- Only use a direct quote when it adds power and style to my writing.
- Always make it clear, from context, that I understand the full meaning of the quote.
- Whether I quote or paraphrase, I must always be transparent about the source and how I'm using it.
- If I use another author's exact words or phrases, to any extent, I have to use quotation marks and       give credit.
- If I use another author's presentation of facts or idea, but put their ideas in my own words, (paraphrase) I better have a good reason for doing so, and I MUST give credit.
- Hyperlinking is so easy, there is no excuse for not being transparent about my sources.

I understand the above statements. I only need to work on reading the quote or idea to a deeper extent and focus on staying with the original idea or supporting the quotation I have used.

No comments:

Post a Comment